Welcome to my blog. This is all about me, Edge, and growing up with Mom and Gary. Mom was going to blog but I took over as it is a lot of fun. I am a Weimaraner that loves to hunt, play rally, agility, run, and eat good food. The World is my Playground and you are invited to share my experiences!


Saturday, October 2, 2010

Our day in the field

When we arrived I was so excited!! I just could not wait to get out there and run and find birds. It seemed like Mom took forever to get things started. She had to change her shoes, put on her gear, figure out where to start and what to do. Come'on Mom just let me go.... Then Gary asked if we should eat lunch first.. what... no way, please do not eat lunch first. Luckily they agreed that I needed to work at least one bird before eating lunch.

We have not worked birds in a long time, so Mom played it safe to see where I was in my training. She set up the launcher and put me on a check cord. Gary tried to video but we were going fast - Mom was running to keep up with me. I was on the bird in no time... I pointed and held my point like a pro. She steadied me and then went in for the flush, I never moved until she set off the launcher and then I was running. She was happy with me that I locked on point and held and didn't go in for the grab. But now she said we need to work on staying there until the bird is shot. wow, she sure expects a lot out of me...

We worked a little more and then took a break and Mom and Gary ate lunch. I was so hot and my tongue was hanging out the side of my mouth. Mom turned the fan on me to help me cool down.

I was able to work planted quail with no check cord as mom trusted that I would not grab them and I was listening to her like I should. I was holding for her to go in and flush. We were able to work one bird 3 or 4 times as it kept relocating and Mom would send me to find it. That was a lot of fun as no one knew where it was. I was leaping over brush and pushing through to find those birds. I was working the wind and changing as it did.

I even found a wild pheasant while I was out there. It was a BIG bird and it was so exciting to see it take off.

We had soo much fun and got to work a lot of birds. I wanted to stay and work more, but Mom said that was enough for one day. I sure hope we can come back tomorrow as that was sooo much fun. I love hunting birds and I am really good at finding them!

No comments: